Handling cold temperatures on the farm

first_img“I did quit my regular job to farm and to sell the goat milk, soaps, and lotions. That kind of took over faster than I expected. So, every day I’m out here at the farm and I’m doing what I love, making products from our farm and selling to the community,” said Shamrock Creek Farm owner Patty McMahon. Patty isn’t the only one needing to stay warm. She makes sure her goats, chickens, ducks, and rabbits stay warm too. TOWN OF MAINE (WBNG) — Whether it’s the family business or a passion, local farmers work hard to provide for themselves, their families, and the community. Shamrock Creek Farm was built on that passion for farming. No matter the weather, local farmers know to stay prepared and be ready to work in just about any condition. “Ventilation is good, but drafts are bad. So you have to make sure that your structures aren’t drafty. The animals need clean, fresh straw to bed down in. The key also is to have warm water,” said McMahon.center_img “Dressing in layers is a key. Having limited skin exposure during the really cold temperatures. I suggest Carhartts, good hat, wool gloves,” said McMahon. Outside of the growing season, farmers are still hard at work, even when it gets cold. The routine around the farm may stay the same, but extra preparation is needed for the elements. “Being a farmer in Upstate New York you have to embrace all kinds of weather, especially anything that Mother Nature is going to throw at you. You still have a job to do and regardless warm or cold we’re still out here,” said McMahon.last_img read more

Read More →

Senator Gary Peters Still Urges Those Who Love the Sanctuary to Make Public Comment

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisWith just one week left to make a public comment, U.S. Senator Gary Peters is still urging those who love Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary to make a public comment.CLICK HERE TO COMMENT!Last week Senator Gary Peters revealed that he expanded the public comment period so that Alpena residents, Michiganders, and tourist could comment to save the sanctuary.Peters said he welcomes comments and unique stories of the National Marine Sanctuary anytime to his office. The entire comment actions started after the Trump Administration ordered that the protected areas of the sanctuaries be open to oil and gas explorations.The executive order could lead to the rollback or elimination of 11 marine sanctuaries, including Alpena’s very own Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary and monuments created.The public comment period has been extended to Monday August 14th. The original close date was July 26th.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Gary Peters, Public Comment, U.S Senator Gary PetersContinue ReadingPrevious Hal Neiman of Neiman’s Family Market Throwing in the Towel and RetiringNext Ossineke United Methodist Church Hosting NEMSCA’s Produce Give-awaylast_img read more

Read More →

Northwood man in police-only parking spot charged with OWI

first_imgNORTHWOOD — A Northwood man parked in a police-only parking spot has led to his arrest. The Worth County Sheriff’s Department says at about 7:20 on Sunday night, a deputy conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle. 36-year-old Steven Yanney was allegedly found to be operating while intoxicated. Yanney was taken into custody and charged with second-offense OWI. It’s not known at this time when Yanney will make his initial appearance in court.last_img

Read More →

Woman stabs boyfriend for looking through her phone

first_imgA Florida woman has been arrested after she reportedly stabbed her boyfriend multiple times because he looked through her phone.The incident occurred Thursday around 4:25 am in Gainesville, Florida.Officials say when they responded to the home, they were told that 25-year-old Ashanti Bradley and her boyfriend got into an argument about infidelity after he found messages between Bradley and another man on her phone.The victim says when he got into Bradley’s face during the argument, he then felt something in his shoulder area. When he looked down he realized that he had been stabbed with a knife.The victim and Bradley then began fighting over the knife at which point the victim was stabbed two more times in the neck and in the shoulder before the blade broke off inside of the victim.The victim was able to get the blade out of his body and called the police.Bradley told deputies that she was fearful for her life so during the argument she tucked a knife in her waistband.  Deputies later determined that Bradley acted of her own freewill and had no injuries to her person.She has since been charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and has a $30,000 bond.last_img read more

Read More →

Half-time: Tottenham 0 Swansea 0

first_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook Embed from Getty ImagesHarry Kane went closest to giving Tottenham a half-time lead with a free-kick well saved by Swansea keeper Lukasz Fabianski.In-form striker Kane curled a set-piece from distance towards the bottom right-hand corner after just nine minutes but Fabianski made the first of two good saves to keep the first half goalless.The ex-Arsenal stopper also denied Heung-Min Son, who was playing at left wing-back after Ben Davies was dropped to the bench, from a tight angle inside the box.Dele Alli, Kieran Trippier and Moussa Sissoko returned to Spurs’ starting line-up, which struggled to create chances against a well-organised Swans defence.Sissoko and Eric Dier sent long-range attempts over the bar as Davinson Sanchez continued to impress in Tottenham’s back three, which limited Swansea to just one half-chance through ex-Spurs man Tom Carroll.Tottenham: Lloris; Alderweireld, Sanchez, Vertonghen; Trippier, Dier, Sissoko; Son, Alli, Eriksen; KaneSubs: Vorm, Aurier, Foyth, Dembele,Davies, Winks, Llorentelast_img read more

Read More →

The City seeks Grants to help fund the Festival Plaza

first_imgTo read more about the Festival Plaza CLICK HERE Funding for the CCR program which will cover 73.3 percent of the funding for the Festival Plaza is made up from 33.33 percent of funds received come from the Provincial Government and 40 percent from the Federal Government. The total cost of the Festival Plaza is still being determined at this time yet there was an allocation of funds in 2016 from the Peace River Agreement Signing Bonus in the amount of $1,458,250.The website states ‘Eligible projects will support public infrastructure, defined as a tangible capital asset primarily for public use and benefit’ which will be the case of the Festival Plaza as it is being designed as a public space. The Plaza once built will be host to viable and vibrant entertainment, events, activities and markets.This new space in Centennial Park aligns with the City’s strategic plan to use downtown as a social, vibrant hub. As the plaza will be an addition to the Park, it is desirable for the new space to complement and be cohesive.The goal is to have the construction of the Festival Plaza start in April and completed by September.The CCR Program supports cost-sharing of infrastructure projects in communities across the province and the application deadline is January 23, 2019 (11:59 pm PST).For more information on the Community, Culture, and Recreation Program CLICK HERE FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – City Council agreed to apply for a grant to the Community, Culture, and Recreation (CCR) Program to help cost-share the funds required to build the Festival Plaza.The Festival Plaza will be built on the grounds next to 100th street and 96 Avenue and will be a visual entrance to the City of Fort St. John.The CCR program will consider projects that ‘Improve access to and/or increased quality of cultural, recreational and/or community infrastructure for Canadians, including Indigenous peoples and vulnerable populations’ as noted on the Government’s website.last_img read more

Read More →

UConn Is 1 Win From Being The Streakiest College Team Ever

After the University of Connecticut Huskies won their 109th straight game Monday, their chances of winning the NCAA women’s basketball tournament and carrying that win streak into next season remain just about steady at 48 percent (down a tick from 49 percent after round one), according to FiveThirtyEight’s March Madness predictions.Up next for the Huskies is No. 4-seed UCLA, a team that was ranked 15th at the end of the season and that UConn hasn’t played since 2014. If UConn wins that game, it’ll have 110 straight wins, moving it clear of Penn State’s 109 consecutive wins in women’s volleyball in 2007-10 — acknowledged as one of the longest winning streaks in collegiate sports history.Both streaks are over twice as long as the next-longest streak by any other entity in their sport. Before Penn State’s mark, the longest win streak by any other team in Division I women’s volleyball was USC’s 52 games in 2002-04. The longest streak in NCAA women’s basketball by a team other than UConn was 54 games by Louisiana Tech in 1980-82. (For comparison, UCLA men’s basketball’s heralded 88-game win streak was only 28 games longer than the previous record-holder’s.) Of course, Geno Auriemma’s UConn squad also holds the second- and third-longest streaks in women’s NCAA basketball, as well as the fifth-longest, which ended one game before the current streak began.VIDEO: How the Villanova and Duke losses shook the bracket Indeed, the Penn State streak may be the longest that is directly comparable to the current Huskies run. There doesn’t appear to be any official list of longest streaks across all sports, but the generally acknowledged record for a team winning streak is the Trinity College men’s squash team, which won 252 straight team meets from 1998 to 2012. Similarly, the University of Miami won 137 team tennis contests in 1957-64. But a team’s squash or tennis meet winning streak isn’t really the same as a game or match streak in a team sport, since each meet is a collection of smaller matches from an individual or pairs sport.Individual sports have generated streaks longer than UConn’s. Cael Sanderson of Iowa State won 159 straight matches to go 159-0 in his collegiate wrestling career (other wrestlers have won more in a row than UConn’s 109 as well). But comparing individual dominance to team dominance is suspect. And other acknowledged streaks can be even more dubious, because they come from lower divisions or carve out a subset of games played — like Mount Union winning 112 straight regular-season games in Division III football.In other words: Don’t miss Saturday’s game! The Huskies will be playing for a claim to the longest winning streak in collegiate team sports history.But things get harder from there. To win this tournament, there’s a good chance that UConn will have to beat three of the next four highest-ranked teams. Barring upsets, the Huskies would face Maryland in the Elite Eight, Baylor in the Final Four and either Notre Dame or South Carolina in the final. If the Huskies face the Irish, they’ll be matching up against the team with the second-longest current win streak in NCAA women’s basketball, 16 games.Check out our March Madness predictions. read more

Read More →

Porto boss My players are not good enough for the club

first_imgPorto manager Sérgio Conceição did not hold back on what he thought of his own players following their 2-1 defeat to Portimonense in a pre-season friendly on TuesdayThe Primeira Liga champions went two goals down before the break to condemn them to their first defeat of the preseason, despite André Pereira scoring a goal later on.While one could argue that Portimonense are much further ahead in their preparations for the new season, Conceição was not going to bail his players out with any excuses and sent Porto president Jorge Nuno Pinto da Costa a clear message through the media afterwards.“We need solutions,” said Conceição, according to the Record.“The goals conceded arose from mistakes that cannot happen, it has to do with the work of the defensive line, in which we had some difficulties, the result was a bit misleading at half-time, then I made a scramble, we scored and we could have scored more.”“I have half a dozen players who are not good enough to play for Porto. It’s plain for everybody to see. I ended the match with a defensive line consisting of Oleg, who plays for the B team, Mikel, Diogo Leite, who is also with the B team, and Janko”,“There are a lot of things we have to do, there are half a dozen players who cannot play for FC Porto. Mikel, Leite who came from the B team and Janko, then Ewerton, Bruno Costa, André Pereira … These are, kids who came from team B or borrowed. ”He added: “This is the truth and I can not hide it.”Europa League draw groups G and H George Patchias – August 30, 2019 Europa League groups G and H are a who is who of previous winners.UEFA.com confirmed that Europa League group G consists of, Porto, Young…??#FCPorto #PSCFCP #FCPortopreSeason pic.twitter.com/zJRPbIPIOn— FC Porto (@FCPorto) July 17, 2018And the 43-year-old has already made his feeling clear to the board.“We have to go looking for solutions, I told the management, I already talked to the president,” said Conceição.The coach’s outburst comes after Porto made €60m from sales this summer in the departures of Diogo Dalot, Miguel Layún, Iván Marcano and Ricardo Pereira.And Porto have only added €14m in purchasing new players with just three weeks remaining until they begin their title defence in a home game against Chaves on August 12.last_img read more

Read More →