Bbosa and Da Costa slapped with touchline bans

first_imgThe Federation of Uganda Football Association Disciplinary Committe has confirmed that SC Villa head coach Wasswa Bbosa and his counterpart Miguel Da Costa have both been handed four matche touchline bans.This was comfirmed through two separate letters availed to the media on Friday by the FUFA Competitions Disciplinary Panel (FCDP).According to one of the letters, SC Villa’s Wasswa Bbosa abused threatened and attacked the match officials during and after his team’s 1-0 loss to Vipers on Tuesday 17-04-2018.The letter highlighted that Bbosa had violated article 30.2 of the FUFA competitions rules which stipulates that at no point should a player (s) or team Official (s) threaten, abuse or attack a match official before, during and after a game.And the panel has put article 30.8 (iii) which states that ‘in occurence of such an event, the said person or personel shall be baned for four consecutive matches, into effect.For Vipers head coach, Miguel Da Costa, he is said to have confronted and attacked the center referee during his side’side’s 1-1 draw away to Bul at the beginning of this month.He is thus suspended for four games as per article 30.2 of the FUFA competitions rules and regulations.With Villa and Vipers in the running for the league crown this season, it remains to be seen how much of an effect the bans to their coaches may have on their credentials.Villa lead the standings on 49 points, three ahead of Vipers in Second with the Jogoos having played one more game.Miguel Da Costa has also been bannedOn the same day, Express FC have been fined one million shillings for hiding match balls during their 1-0 of Mbarara City last week.Viper’s second choice goalkeeper James Alitho has also been slapped with a four game ban after he insulted and abused the first assistant referee Okello Lee during the Bul draw.Vipers’ CEO Peter Lwanga has also been fined One Million shillings for attacking and threatening the match officials in the same game and the FCDP has further advised that if his fine is not paid by 26th April, the amount may rise further.The bans only affect the league games so all the personnel banned will be able to resume duty in the Uganda cup which continues this weekend.Comments Wasswa Bbosa will not be at the touchline in Villa’s next four league games Tags: Express FCmiguel da costaSC Villavipers scwasswa bbosalast_img read more

Read More →

Africa’s New Dawn satellite in orbit

first_img4 May 2011Intelsat New Dawn, Africa’s new communications satellite, blasted into orbit from Arianespace’s rocket station in Kourou, French Guiana on 22 April. The satellite has 90% African, including South African, funding, and promises to boost communications on the continent.Intelsat New Dawn blasted into space via the Ariane 5 rocket, which to date has lifted off almost 60 times with satellite payloads.The satellite took off successfully from commercial space transport company Arianespace’s rocket complex in Kourou, after its initial launch on 29 March was aborted.Ariane 5, one of the world’s most successful launch vehicles, also took the Yahsat 1A satellite to space on the same day. This communications satellite will serve the Middle East primarily, and will also offer services to customers in Africa and Southwest Asia.Intelsat New Dawn is specifically designed to improve communications within the African continent. According to its owners, because it operates from a geostationary orbital slot at 32.8° east, it’s well placed to bolster Africa’s telecommunications capacity.Its 28 C-band and 24 Ku-band 36 MHz transponder units are tailor-made to provide critical communications infrastructure for African customers, Intelsat said.“Intelsat New Dawn will be ideally positioned to serve Africa through a payload optimised to deliver new capacity for voice, wireless backhaul, fixed line and wireless infrastructure, broadband and media,” read Intelsat’s statement.New Dawn will be part of Intelsat’s well-established satellite fleet that caters for almost the entire world.“Intelsat New Dawn will be integrated with the resilient Intelsat fleet, allowing us to expand and enhance the vital communications services that are provided by our customers to business consumers throughout Africa,” Intelsat CEO Dave McGlade said in the statement.With a life span of at least 17 years, Intelsat New Dawn comes at a time when the continent’s telecoms sector needs to take full advantage of upcoming long-haul submarine and terrestrial broadband cables, following the recent launch of others like Seacom and Eassy.Intelsat owns a 10% stake at New Dawn after it provided the bulk of the 15% equity investments. African investors hold a combined 90% majority.The local funders, which include financial provider Nedbank, the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa, the African Development Bank and investment management firm Convergence Partners, provided both equity and debt funding.“The satellite will not only deliver crucial services specifically tailored for Africa, it will also herald the dawn of a new era where Africans enjoy far greater involvement in the space communications industry,” said Convergence Partners chairman Andile Ngcaba.Terrestrial fibre cable partnershipConvergence Partners is also a partner in Johannesburg-based FibreCo Telecommunications, a venture that plans to implement a new long-haul terrestrial fibre-optic broadband network in South Africa. Local companies Cell C and Internet Solutions are the other investors in the 12 000km open-access cable.The first phase of construction will see a 4 500km redundant core ring, which will link Gauteng, Cape Town and Durban, being completed by the end of 2012. The entire project will be finished off in two more subsequent phases.“The project is on track, with good progress being made on the key activities supporting the development of FibreCo’s network, including negotiations with local and international network implementation partners, government authorities and various other market players,” said Arif Hussain, the consortium’s CEO.First published by MediaClubSouthAfrica.com – get free high-resolution photos and professional feature articles from Brand South Africa’s media service.last_img read more

Read More →

Draft tax laws up for public comment

first_img6 June 2011The National Treasury has released a draft of the 2011 Taxation Laws Amendment Bills (TLAB), which includes personal income tax relief, for public comment.The draft was released on Thursday, which gives effect to the budget review tax proposals that were announced in the Budget in February.“The [draft] includes most, but not all the 2011 Budget proposals, as some proposals require further work or consultation; the taxation of gambling winnings and contributions to retirement funds are thus not included,” the Treasury said in a statement this week.“These outstanding matters will be covered by separate legislation in the form of a second set of bills.”Formal hearingsThe draft is published for public comment before formal introduction in Parliament. The standing committee on finance convenes informal hearings on these draft bills and considers public comments received.The National Treasury and the South African Revenue Service (Sars) will consider all the comments received, and thereafter submit a response document to the standing committee in August.“The draft Bills are then revised and formally introduced in Parliament by the minister of finance [expected to be in early September],” the Treasury said.Tax bracket adjustmentsThe draft legislation deals with personal income tax relief through adjustments to the personal income tax brackets and rebates amounting to R8.1-billion, and the introduction of a third rebate of R2 000 per year for taxpayers 75 years and older.It also proposes an increase in the tax-free interest-income annual threshold from R22 300 to R22 800 for individuals below 65 years and from R32 000 to R33 000 for individuals aged 65 years and older, among other matters.The draft legislation and explanatory memorandum can be found on the National Treasury website www.treasury.gov.za.Comments should be submitted to the National Treasury via Nomfanelo Mpotulo at [email protected] and to Sars via Adele Collins at [email protected] by 4 July 2011.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Read More →

Uganda to represent Africa at 2016 Quidditch World Cup

first_img18 May 2016Quidditch is no longer a sport only played in the fictional, magical Harry Potter books. Invented in the series of novels by JK Rowling, fans were inspired to play quidditch in real life. Team Uganda will be holding the hopes of Africa on their shoulders at the 2016 Quidditch World Cup, taking place in Germany from 23 to 24 July.The International Quidditch Association (IQA) announced that 24 teams from six continents had preregistered to attend the tournament. Team Uganda is the only team from Africa.A crowdfunding project was started on the Indiegogo Generosity fundraising website to help Team Uganda to get enough money to travel to Germany.“Up to this point, most international quidditch teams have been from western countries – Europe and North America. With this campaign, we have a real chance to broaden the spectrum of teams attending the event,” says the Indiegogo campaign.Originally Team Uganda set out to raise €1 500 (about R26 000), reported British newspaper The Guardian, but the team need nearly €15 000 to get to Germany. They are just over half-way there, and have raised €8 256 so far.#Quidditch World Cup 2016 hopes to feature first African team | @guardian on Team Uganda: https://t.co/UkNBw3Wwwc pic.twitter.com/sDts3xgZXT— Quidditch Canada (@QuidditchCanada) May 4, 2016“Team Uganda still need so much more support,” tournament director Matthew Guenzel told The Guardian. “The flights alone number in the tens of thousands. But we are hopeful. The quidditch community is very supportive, and this is a great cause.”The team showed their appreciation on their Facebook page. “There is a moment when the support you get outweighs what you expected,” they wrote. “Thank you all for loving and supporting Team Uganda. It’s overwhelming and amazing! We are convinced that people in the quidditch community love us greatly.”Watch the team captain, Safina Nakawooya thank supporters:How the game is playedAs in the Potter books, quidditch is played with two teams of seven players each, made up of a keeper, two beaters, three chasers and a seeker.In reality, chasers tried to throw a quaffle – a semi-deflated volley ball – through raised hoops, beaters threw bludgers – dodge balls – at the opposing team, and seekers tried to reach for the snitch – a sock with a tennis ball in it – usually attached to the snitch runner’s shorts, reported The Guardian. And because brooms don’t fly in the real world, players hold a broom between their legs.The team that scores the most points, either by throwing the quaffle through the hoops or gaining the snitch, wins the game.Watch this for more information:OriginsIt was a sunny Sunday afternoon in 2005 when Xander Manshel and Alex Benepe, both students at Middlebury College in Vermont, in the US, began playing quidditch in real life, according to the IQA. By 2007, the sport had grown to have the first intercollegiate match. In 2008, the first 12-team World Cup was played, featuring teams from universities.The game gained global traction and by 2012, “the IQA hosted national teams from the US, Canada, the UK, France, and Australia in Oxford, England for the inaugural Global Games, a bi-annual tournament showcasing the talents of the best players from around the world, which occurred alongside a torch ceremony for the London Olympics”, reads the IQA website.The governing body now serves approximately 20 quidditch-playing organisations and nations spanning six continents.The World CupThe World Cup will be held at the Rebstocklage sports facility in Frankfurt.“We are excited about this opportunity to welcome the world to the heart of German quidditch, and look forward to working together with the IQA to ensure a memorable tournament experience for both players and spectators,” said Lisa Struck, chair of the Frankfurt 2016 Organising Committee.IQA executive director Harrison Homel said Frankfurt was a major travel hub so it was the ideal gateway for players and fans alike. “We are all extremely glad to be working with such passionate hosts, and to use this opportunity to bring our sport to new eyes in central Europe.”Source: The Guardianlast_img read more

Read More →

Essentials for Your Geocaching Adventure

first_imgShare with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedGeocaching on the Go – Geocaching.com Weekly NewsletterAugust 15, 2012In “Groundspeak’s Weekly Newsletter”Top 10 geocaching essentialsMay 25, 2017In “Community”Geocachers are the nicest people: My trip to the 12th Annual GCHR Picnic Mega-EventSeptember 23, 2014In “Community” The great explorers who charted the globe knew a thing or two about being prepared. They crafted a checklist of essentials before they even thought about leaving homeport. You’re now among the newest generation of explorers, but your checklist still needs the same essentials and a few brilliant new innovations (like bug spray).A geocaching adventure begins with a plan and then a backup plan. Make sure you tell someone where your journey is taking you, just in case you’re late returning.Bring water, extra batteries, a cell phone, the correct clothes for the climate, and the aforementioned bug spray.Now the fun begins. Get ready to pack your geocaching tools-of-the-trade. Some geocachers only pack their GPS or smartphone and a pen and call it good. But what about packing something Columbus could have only dreamt about, like a “Trackable Leatherman Micra Tool”? Or even an Ultra-Violet flashlight for deciphering geocache clues? Visit Shop Geocaching for even more ideas. If you’re outside the United States, check out our International Geocaching Retailers.Share tips on what to carry in your Geocaching pack below in comments!last_img read more

Read More →

10 months agoRangers boss Gerrard coy on Liverpool striker Solanke

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Rangers boss Gerrard coy on Liverpool striker Solankeby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSteven Gerrard has played down talk Rangers could sign Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke in January. The tall forward has struggled for game time this season and has also been linked with Crystal Palace.But Gerrard remained coy on any move when asked on Wednesday.”I haven’t heard Dominic say he wants to leave Liverpool,” Gerrard told the Daily Mail. “I haven’t heard Liverpool say they want him to leave, so there’s nothing really to say about it.” last_img read more

Read More →

DavidsTea director Roland Walton resigns from board

first_imgMONTREAL – DavidsTea Inc. says Roland Walton has resigned as a director.Walton was elected to the company’s board of directors last month as part of a group of dissident nominees that replaced the existing board.He is a former president of Tim Hortons Canada.DavidsTea co-founder Herschel Segal led the shareholder revolt to replace the board at the company’s annual meeting in June.The fight also resulted in the resignation of chief executive Joel Silver and saw Segal become executive chairman and interim CEO.Segal has pledged that the chain of tea shops will become profitable within a year and focus on its Canadian roots.“We thank Roland Walton for his contribution, particularly in the period leading up to the recent annual meeting of shareholders, and wish him the very best,” Segal said in a statement.last_img read more

Read More →

Book fair to encourage reading among youth

first_imgTo inculcate and encourage book reading habit amongst Delhi populace, Boi Mela (Book Fair) and Literary Function is back for its eighteenth edition. The event will be held from April 17 – 21, 2019 at Grih Kalyan Kendra, Peshwa Marg, New Delhi premises, as a step to fulfill the goal of reaching out to wider section of public for advancement of reading habits, culture, art, scientific outlook and education amongst population of Delhi and its adjacent (NCR) area. Renowned literary personality Selina Hossain of Bangladesh has consented to inaugurate the Mela and Banga Sanskriti Utsav. Also Read – An income drop can harm brainDuring five days of festival, renowned literary personalities from across the country will participate in various literary discussions. Also, Sajib Chattopadhay will grace the valedictory function. Boi Mela will focus not only on selling books to the public, but also interactions with industry professionals. The fair is a great place to meet buyers from every corner of the country. It is one of the largest free literary events in Delhi, presenting an array of national literary stars and emerging authors. It is basically the second largest Boi Mela outside West Bengal. Also Read – Shallu Jindal honoured with Mahatma AwardMore than seventy book stalls will be allotted to publishers and book sellers from Kolkata, Bangladesh, Tripura and Delhi NCR. It is expected that the fair will be attended by more than 30,000 book lovers. Renowned publishing houses such as Niyogi Books, Deys Publishing, Ananda Publishers, Pulotsya publishers, Patra Bharati, Gangchill, and others will be catering to the literary thirst of Bengalis away from home. Various activities including Meet the Author, Seminars, Debate, On-the-spot drawing competition, Recitation competition, Storytelling competition, Book reading competition, and much more will be organised. Besides, students from eight Bangla schools of Delhi and one from Madanpur Khadar, Delhi, run by Bengal Association will be participating. To make this fair more attractive, various cultural programmes will be organised in the evening.last_img read more

Read More →

Souness Sarris style will not win trophies at Chelsea

first_imgMaurizio Sarri may likely finish without trophies at Stamford Bridge playing his style of football, according to Sky Sports pundit Graeme Souness.Sarri replaced compatriot Conte during the transfer window and has been tasked with guiding the Blues back into the Champions League.They face tough opposition in Manchester City and Liverpool but will fancy their chances after strengthening well during the summer.However, Souness believes they’re not capable of challenging at the top if Sarri is too stubborn to adapt his style.“Well he’s not won a major trophy,” he said.“I think he has to be cautious on occasion, more pragmatic on occasion.“Well he isn’t going to win a big trophy then (if he doesn’t change).Mario Mandzukic, JuventusJuventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.“I’m not buying Sarri-ball, there’s nothing new about pressing high and playing one and two-touch football.“Going back to when I played, that’s what we did. There’s nothing new about it.“There was nothing wrong two years ago when Chelsea were winning the league under (Antonio) Conte.“So he’s inherited a great situation at Chelsea, he will tweak it to his style.“I think we saw against Arsenal last week they were a bit more vulnerable when Arsenal got after them.“So I think for me they are still a centre-forward away from a team that can really challenge for this Premier League.”last_img read more

Read More →