Turkey plans to reach the figure of 75 million tourists in 2020

first_imgSource / photo: Travel and Tour World; Pixabay TURKEY INTRODUCES NEW ACCOMMODATION TAXES DESPITE SECTOR DISSATISFACTION “With its diverse tourist offer, such as health and congress tourism and gastrotourism, Turkey has already practically reached its original goal for 2023, or two years earlier, which is to attract 50 million tourists.”, Says İbrahim Halil Korkmaz, president of the Istanbul Tourism Association (ISTTA), adding that the country has now expanded its goals by placing a stronger focus on religious tourism. To that end, the Turkish Ministry of Culture and Tourism has planned a religious tour that passes through the country, and five centers for religious tourism have already been designated to lead the initiative, reports Travel and Tour World. TURKEY DISCOVERED NEW TOURIST STRATEGY FOR 2023. PROMOTION BUDGET INCREASED TO $ 220 MILLION Turkey is in a favorable position in terms of religious-tourist potential as a historical gathering place of civilizations, given the abundance of sights important for Muslims, but also followers of several different religious denominations, including Christians. Korkmaz said the goal now is to welcome 75 million tourists by the end of 2022, with expected revenues of $ 65 billion. He stressed the importance of turning the country into a hub for religious tourism in an attempt to achieve those goals, noting that the number of Muslim tourists in 2018 was 140 million, compared to 2000 when the figure was 25 million. The Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Turkey in its tourism strategy for 2023 year included, among other things, religious tourism in order to attract as many international tourists as possible, which is expected to exceed 50 million. RELATED NEWS:last_img read more

Read More →

Families start Idul Fitri ‘mudik’ early despite COVID-19 warning

first_imgFamilies residing in Jakarta have started to pack their bags and return to their home towns, including to Wonogiri, Central Java, despite the government’s warning for people not to travel home for Idul Fitri this year so as to prevent the spread of COVID-19.The coronavirus has infected at least 790 people across the country as of Thursday at noon and killed 58 in total.Hesti Winarni, a 43-year-old meatball seller in Jakarta, decided to return to Wonogiri since her business had experienced a decline of sales since the outbreak hit the capital city. “The kids are off from school. Wonogiri is also safer than Jakarta,” said Hesti, a resident of Baturetno district.She was not the only one to return to her home town, as transportation authorities in Wonogiri have recorded about 14,000 people coming into the regency within last week. According to data gathered at the Giri Adipura bus terminal in the regency, as many as 876 buses from Greater Jakarta area carrying a total of 14,140 passengers had arrived in Wonogiri.Read also: Forget ‘mudik’ this year, govt tells people as Idul Fitri moves closerSuch an increase in the number of passengers usually only occurs during the Idul Fitri mudik (exodus), said Agus Hasto Purwanto, the head of the bus terminal. “Normally, fewer than 1,000 passengers arrive in Wonogiri every day. However, the number has started to jump in the past few weeks to 2,000 per day,” Agus said, adding the number was expected to keep rising until the end of the COVID-19 emergency, possibly in late May.Wonogiri Regent Joko Sutopo defended people’s decisions to return to their home towns, as most who migrated from the regency work as small vendors and factory workers across Greater Jakarta. They had no option but to go home, he said, as they earned no money during the work-from-home period.Joko said the administration could prevent the spread of COVID-19 within the region, amid the mass exodus that has been a tradition of the residents.“We’re disseminating information [on COVID-19] to neighborhood units [RT] and youth groups in communities. We are not worried because everything is going well as planned,” the regent said.Read also: IYSF scientist praises social distancing policy, urges govt to cancel ‘mudik’He added that local officials and health facilitators had been actively spreading the information. Health officials would also disinfect train stations and bus terminals, as well as provide hand sanitizer to passengers.As of Thursday morning, Wonogiri confirmed it had two COVID-19-positive cases. One of the patients has died of the disease, while the other – a Wonogiri-Bogor intercity bus driver – is being treated at Soediran Mangun Sumarso Hospital in the regency.Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo had urged residents working in Jakarta not to return home and demanded residents in the province not to go to the capital city. “There should be a record of each traveler’s health at Central Java’s border,” he said.The Transportation Ministry is currently considering a plan to ban this year’s Idul Fitri mudik, but has yet reached a final decision (trn)Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Indonesia to mix coal-based DME, LPG as cooking gas to reduce imports

first_imgThe studies found that, compared to LPG, burning DME was less pollutive but also much less hot, which meant the cooking time was up to 20 percent longer, Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry research and development head Dadan Kusdiana told reporters at a press briefing on Wednesday.Thus, mixing 80 percent LPG with 20 percent DME was the ideal ratio to maximize retail economics, he said, summarizing the studies that were carried out between 2017 and 2020.“If we mix it like that, the gas can be used with the existing infrastructure,” he added, explaining that conventional stoves and canisters wore out faster when burning pure DME.Switching to DME is among Indonesia’s many plans to cut consumption of LPG, a fuel the country has been heavily importing at the cost of widening its trade deficit, a key vulnerability for Southeast Asia’s largest economy. Oil and gas trade booked a deficit of US$3.55 billion during the January-June period this year, while non-oil and gas trade booked a surplus of $9.05 billion in the same period, Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data show.Ideally, piped natural gas would substitute LPG, as Indonesia already produced more natural gas than needed, said Indonesian Olefin, Aromatic and Plastic Industry Association (INAPLAS) secretary-general Fajar Budiono.“But the household gas pipes cannot yet reach every corner of the country,” he said. “The pipes are only for big cities and big islands.”To supply cooking gas to regions not connected by pipelines, the government plans to distribute canisters of DME derived from domestically mined low-calorie coal. Indonesian reserves hold around 2 billion tons of such a coal, mostly unused.Read also: Pertamina, PGN cut revenue targets as weak rupiah, lockdown severely hurt businessesThe energy ministry estimates that around 6 million tons of the coal is needed to produce 1.5 million tons of DME, and it estimates the DME price needs to be below $563 per ton to be economical when compared with LPG.However, only one company, namely state-owned coal miner PT Bukit Asam, has announced a plan to develop a coal-to-DME facility thus far.The company, working with United States-based chemical manufacturer Air Products and Chemicals Ltd, plans to develop a $2 billion facility that produces 1.4 million tons of DME a year. Such an output level requires 6.5 million tons of coal.“That 1.4 million tons is about enough to meet Sumatra’s LPG needs,” said Dadan.PTBA and state-owned oil giant Pertamina, the country’s top LPG distributor, previously calculated that selling the cheap coal at $20 per ton – the market price for regular coal is now at $52.16 per ton – would allow coal-derived DME to compete with LPG.Bukit Asam president director Arviyan Arifin said on June 10 that the company was currently working on the facility’s early phase project planning, known as front end engineering design (FEED).“We hope to begin commercial operation in 2024-2025,” he saidTopics : The government is looking to mix coal-based dimethyl ether (DME) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as cooking gas in an effort to reduce Indonesia’s dependence on imported LPG.The country has long sought to replace the LPG with DME as a cooking fuel, but new official studies have revealed a key limitation with the plan.Read also: Govt to slash diesel subsidy 50%, generate trillions in 2021 savingslast_img read more

Read More →

​Friday people roundup

first_imgHymans Robertson – Beenesh Googoolye has been appointed as a senior investment consultant, while Ritchie Thomson has been appointed as an associate consultant. Both join from Lane Clark & Peacock. Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association, Pension Insurance Corporation, Goldman Sachs, Local Government Association, Department for Communities and Local Government, Hymans Robertson, Lane Clark & PeacockPensions and Lifetime Savings Association (PLSA) – Nigel Peaple has been appointed deputy director for Defined Contribution, Lifetime Savings and Research. He will lead the PLSA’s policy work on defined contribution and lifetime savings, as well as have responsibility for its research function and EU engagement. Meanwhile, Mel Duffield has been appointed to the Defined Contribution Council, while Nicola Mark and Colin Richardson will be joining the Defined Benefit Council. All three will assume their responsibilities after the PLSA’s AGM on 21 October. Carol Young, vice-chair, and Andy Cheseldine have been re-elected to the Defined Contribution Council.Pension Insurance Corporation – Jon Aisbitt has been appointed chairman of the board, succeeding Sir Mark Weinberg, one of the founders of the business and chairman since 2006, who is retiring. Aisbitt has spent 16 years in the investment banking division at Goldman Sachs, serving as chairman of the company’s Australia business for the last three years. Before then, he was chairman at Man Group.Local Government Association – Bob Holloway has joined the LGA as pensions secretary to the scheme advisory board for the local government pension scheme (LGPS), having been a civil servant for more than 40 years. He spent the majority of his career working on local government, and the bulk of that on the LGPS, implementing the investment strategy and LGPS reforms. His last posting was with the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), which he left last week. Holloway told IPE he saw his new role as “benefiting both camps”. He said: “The LGA gets my experience and knowledge over the last 30 years, and the DCLG will still be able to benefit from my remaining within the LGPS community.”last_img read more

Read More →

PNP confirms PMA cadet died due to hazing

first_img“While we sympathize with the family of thevictim, the father of whom was my underclassman when I was a cadet myself manyyears ago, we pity those, probably out of misplaced enthusiasm, (who) arefacing possible court martial proceedings on account of this yet anotherunfortunate incident,” added Lacson./PN Sen. Panfilo Lacson expressed hisdisappointment over the death of Dormitorio, saying that people who engage inhazing never seemed to learn from past incidents. “Those possibly responsible for the death of 4Cl Cadet Dormitorio are now surely regretting what they did. It is too late forthem though and they will have to face the consequence of their indiscretions,”Lacson said. Hazing incidents and frat-related violencehave been plaguing the country’s premier military training institution andother law schools through the years, some of which resulted to deaths. The PMA Hospital will also be under probeafter it was found out that it diagnosed Dormitorio with a mere urinary tractinfection a day before he died when he complained of stomach pain.         PMA superintendent Lt. Gen. Ronnie Evangelistasaid there were three persons of interest in Dormitorio’s death – two 3rd Classcadets and one 1st Class cadet. MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP)confirmed that the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) cadet who died inside thebarracks earlier this week was a victim of hazing. Based on its probe released on Friday, the20-year-old Darwin Dormitorio, sustained bruises on his stomach – a possiblesign of hazing – at the time of his death on Wednesday inside the PMA barracksat Fort Del Pilar in Baguio City. The Philippine National Police confirms that the Philippine Military Academy cadet Darwin Dormitorio – who died inside the barracks earlier this week – was a victim of hazing. Photo from the Facebook page of Darwin Dormitoriolast_img read more

Read More →

Councilman: My daughter was almost abducted

first_imgGood thing his daughter managed to getdown from the motorcycle and run away, said Rollen Balajadia. ILOILO City – An unidentifiedmotorcycle-driving man tried to abduct his Grade 10 daughter, according to abarangay councilman of San Nicolas, La Paz district. Police Captain Eduardo Siacon, Jaropolice chief, did not discount the possibility that the Budol-budol Gang wasbehind the incident. The motorcycle-driving man who waswearing a helmet stopped by the teenager and told her that her father wassupposedly waiting for her at a bank in Jaro district. The foiled abduction happened at 12:30p.m. on Tuesday on Mission Extension road, La Paz. His daughter was walkingalone, said Balajadia. The young girl boarded the motorcyclebut minutes after decided to get down and flee after getting suspicious. “They have another modus operadi. Theywould trick unsuspecting individuals into believing that a relative was waitingor looking for them. They would eventually rob the victims of their valuables,”said Siacon./PNlast_img read more

Read More →

Last day to register for luncheon

first_imgFRANKLIN COUNTY, Ind. — Monday (4/17) is the last day you can register to attend the Franklin County Chamber of Commerce’s Women in Business Luncheon.The lunch will be held at the Schilling Center in Brookville on April 26 from 11:30 – 1:00.The cost is $20 per person and includes a catered lunch as well as guest speaker Colleen Sutton.They will also highlight area businesses.Call 765-647-3177 to reserve your seat.last_img

Read More →

New Hammers deal for Allardyce

first_img Hammers co-owner David Gold announced the 58-year-old would stay on at Upton Park on his personal Twitter account. “I am delighted to announce that our manager Sam Allardyce has signed a new two year contract,” Gold said. West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has ended speculation about his future by signing a new two-year contract. Allardyce revealed on Friday he was set to put pen to paper on a new contract, having guided the Hammers to guaranteed Barclays Premier League safety in their first season back in the top flight. He said: “I will be signing my contract very shortly. Early next week will be the right time.” The former Bolton and Blackburn boss insisted in March he would be penning a new deal “very soon” after productive talks with Gold and fellow co-owner David Sullivan, but the two-month wait to sign the contract offered raised doubts over his future. But Allardyce said the hold-up was down to wading through vast swathes of legal jargon and the need to secure survival, rather than because of any problem with the club’s owners. “There were processes we had to go through and put it together in the right way, which it has now,” Allardyce said. “I never thought there would be any problem – and there hasn’t. There has been some issue with the legal jargon in the contract which I couldn’t understand so that has to go to both sides’ lawyers to agree and then it gets signed. “The size of a manager’s contract is pretty substantial in terms of responsibilities.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Borussia Dortmund Impressed by the Growth of ISL and Indian Football

first_imgDusseldorf: Even as German football club Borussia Dortmund is planning to reach out to the Indian market, the club has made it clear that they won’t be investing in any of the Indian football clubs.Dortmund is planning to play Dortmund legends team’s exhibition football matches in India which can be held latest by next year.“Legends game is something that we are planning. It is the target to be present with the legend game latest by next year and then we have to discuss where to go,” club managing director Carsten Cramer said.“Now, we have to take the decision when and whom to play. Do we play against a local legend team or we play against another international legend team, these are the things that need to be discussed.”As for the Indian market, he said: “At the moment, we are very ambitious. We would try to reach as many people as possible in India. The crowd needs to be there. It doesn’t make sense to play in a small stadium with 3-4,000 people. We want to see the craziness of people in India. So, this has to be well prepared and it will take some time.”The two-time Bundesliga champion club has already signed partnerships with Asian clubs Buriram United (Thailand), Singapore’s Warriors FC, China’s Shandong Luneng and the Malaysian state of Johor.When asked about if Borussia Dortmund is in talks with any of the Indian clubs, Cramer said: “Yes, I myself visited two clubs. I don’t want to talk about things which are not signed yet.“Our business is not done by rumours. It has to be done by facts. So, I wouldn’t bring more rumours on the table. But yes, we are talking to clubs and will make a decision about taking the right approach.”He also made it clear that they will not invest in any of the Indian clubs. “This is something for sure. We are not looking for investors and we will also not become investors,” he pointed.The club has already announced that their first team will travel to Asia next season for pre-season games and India is likely to be one of the destinations.“India is an interesting market. The ISL is well established and the attendance is growing,” said Cramer.Talking about the plan for the Indian market, he said: “We want to do it (reach out to the Indian market) in a way that it fits the Indian people. We will try to establish grassroots initiatives.“We will try to reach the kids who are interested in playing football. Collaborations with schools, public institutions, try to send coaches from Dortmund to some areas where we might collaborate with, ask the broadcaster in India to extend publication of Bundesliga games.“So, it’s a list of different measures, each of the measures are very small but many of them can have some impact in the relation to the Indian people. And maybe as a highlight then — but this will take some years — the visit of our team,” he added. IANSAlso Read: Borussia Dortmund Surprise Bayern Munich In German SupercupAlso Watch: Religious procession by Sikh community people arrives in Biswanath Charialilast_img read more

Read More →

Ghana Premier League to start on December 28

first_imgThe Ghana Football Association has announced that the new Ghana Premier League season will begin on the December 28, 2019.The decision was taken after a meeting between the GFA and the league clubs earlier on Monday at the M Plaza Hotel in Accra.The meeting was held to discuss the when the new league campaign would begin and matters concerning club licensing. The league was due to begin on December 21 but that date will not be used per the decisions of the meeting.Concerning the programme of events and activities that were to be done before the start, the understanding is that they would still go ahead to pave the way for the start of the league.The new Ghana Premier League season is expected to start at the same time as the Women’s League and the Division One League.Competitive league football in Ghana has been under a freeze since June 2018 after the airing of the Anas “Number 12” documentary.last_img read more

Read More →