Teen in attack scheme to be tried as adult

first_imgSYLMAR – One of two former Quartz Hill High School students charged with planning a Columbine-style attack at the school will be tried as a adult. The 17-year-old boy, whose name won’t be released until he is formally charged Monday in Antelope Valley Superior Court, was found unfit to be tried as a juvenile after an all-day Juvenile Court hearing Thursday, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office officials said. A 16-year-old co-defendant last month was ordered tried as a juvenile because state law says juveniles must be at least 16 at the time of the offense to be tried as an adult. The younger boy was 15 when the two were arrested in December. Both boys remain in county juvenile facilities, officials said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventThe two boys have denied conspiracy to commit murder charges. The younger boy also has denied a charge of making criminal threats. The boys, who sheriff’s deputies said dressed in the Goth style characterized by black clothing and nail polish, said they felt ostracized at Quartz Hill High and wanted to get revenge in a Valentine’s Day attack, deputies said. Both had transferred to other schools. Deputies said the teens had acquired bomb-making instructions off the Internet and detonated practice bombs in the desert. The boys had been on probation in connection with a 2003 assault in which a 14-year-old boy was sodomized with a metal rod, deputies said. Charles F. Bostwick, (661) 267-5742 chuck.bostwick@dailynews.comlast_img